You can now renew most items up to 5 times at The Library. Here are 6 different ways to renew…
1. Renew online at dcls.org
- Log in to My Account with your library card number and PIN
- Go to Items Currently Checked Out and select the titles you wish to renew then click Renew Marked. Click Yes to verify that you wish to proceed.
2. Call 1-717-724-6577 for our 24/7 automated account line
- Have your library card number and the barcodes of the items you wish to renew available
3. Email a Librarian
- Go to the Problems with My Account page.
- List the name and barcode of the items you’d like to renew
4. Text a Librarian
- Type firstname.lastname@example.org into the messaging app on your phone
- Give us your library card number and list the name and barcode of the items you’d like to renew
5. Text Notifications
- Log in to my account and opt-in to Text by going to the "Edit Account" page
6. Call The Library
- Please have your library card number ready so we can renew your items while you’re on the line
- We’re always happy to hear from you!
Of course, you can always visit any of our 8 library locations throughout Dauphin County, too.
DCLS Library materials can be renewed up to 5 times, unless requested by another patron. Bestseller Express are non-renewable. District and Interlibrary Loans renewals are dependent upon the lending library.
All materials can be returned to any DCLS library regardless of where the item was originally checked out. Book returns are conveniently located at all of our eight libraries, including outdoor book drops for after-hours returns.
The easiest way to renew your materials is through our website.
- Log into your account using your library card number and current PIN number.
- On the Account Overview screen click on Items Out at the top of the page.
- Locate the title of the item you want to renew, and click the box on the left to select the item.
- Once you have selected all the items you want to renew, click the Renew button at the top of the screen.
- Confirm the new due date.
If an item fails to renew, you will see this red message at the top of your screen:
One or more of your items did not renew. Please scroll down for details.
Items may be unable to be renewed for a several reasons:
- The item is requested by another patron. You will see the error: Renew failed: Item is requested, cannot renew.
- You have exceeded your renewal limit (5 renewals) for the item. You will see this error: Renew failed: Exceeded maximum renewal limit.
- The type of item may not allow renewals (Bestseller Express, District or Interlibrary Loans). You will see this error:Renew failed: Exceeded maximum renewal limit.
If you see any of these error messages, your items are due back to the library by the original due date.
Renew by Phone:
24-hour automated Service:1-877-709-2690
If you are unable to renew your items online you can also renew by phone using our 24-hour automated service.
You will need your library card number and the barcode numbers from the back of the items you wish to renew.
Renew at your local library:
If you would like to speak with a library staff member regarding your renewals, you can call or visit any of our eight library locations. Please have your library card ready.